Los Angeles Theatrical Release Competition & Awards
All judging will be done by industry professionals
The Los Angeles Theatrical Release Competition & Awards mission is to celebrate independent filmmakers with an eye on having a Los Angeles Theatrical Release in a paid movie theater. Filmmakers will also have the opportunity to be awarded across all categories. Most great filmmakers think their films should get a theatrical release, but it's too expensive - until now.
For films entering also in sub-categories, the final decision will be made by professionals in that field.
Best Picture (any genre), Best Short (Overall) and Best Movie Trailer (any genre) will be given a 7-day theatrical release in a motion picture theater in Los Angeles County.
All winning filmmkers of all divisions will be contacted and awarded via email.
Theatrical Release for Best Picture (Film), Best Short Overall, and Best Trailer Overall will be arranged solely by LATCA within six months of win and is now scheduled. We will always attempt to arrange a release convenient for the respective filmmakers, but final decision will be made by festival directors.
Rules & Terms
LATCA Rules & Terms
1. Film Entrants must submit a secure online screener via FilmFreeway or Vimeo with a private passworded link. We do also currently accept physical screeners due to Filmmakers not wanting product online anywhere; however, YOU MUST CONTACT US FOR SCREENER ADDRESS AND ENTRY FORM PRIOR TO SUBMITTING. If you DO NOT use FilmFreeway, use our Contact US form to initiate entry. Links must be active at time of submission. Entry materials must be completed at the time of submission. We do not accept press kits. We do not accept rough cut follow-ups. All projects will be judged on the entry at the time of submission.
2. Every submission must have a main category and can add optional additional creative categories. Films entered in multiple categories may win multiple awards. Films which reach the final judging round will also be considered for category awards; however, all films must enter categories to be considered from the beginning - we do NOT notify as we move onto the progressive rounds.
3. All entries must be in English or - subtitled/dubbed in English.
4. Each filmmaker can submit several projects, but each entry must be accompanied by a separate Entry and fee. All fees are non-refundable.
5. Filmmaker needs to provide promotional material such as posters and trailers to the festival within 3 weeks of notification of winning Best Picture, Best Short, or Best Trailer. DCP’s must also be provided within 3 weeks of notification NO EXCEPTIONS. If these materials are NOT received, festival has the right to rescind the winning entries and award it to the runner-up film/short/trailer.
6. All filmmakers understand and accept that if their film is the Best Picture, Best Short, Best Trailer in the festival, they grant full and unrestricted permission for LATCA to release/screen the film/video at times of the festivals choice and to charge an admission fee for the presentation of the digital program. LATCA only screens these 3 winners.
7. The Filmmaker understands and accepts that they do not participate in receiving any funds from the Box-office proceeds which are fully retained by the festival to help cover the overall cost of the festival theatrical release. It should be noted for the record that box-office proceeds never cover a portion of the cost of presentation of the 7-day Feature and Short Film/Trailer Release. Required Legal Stuff: The filmmaker releases the festival (LATCA) from any and all liability for damages or destruction of the entered DCP. The festival assumes no liability whatsoever for theft, copyright violations or piracy of the entry.
8. The Filmmaker accepts and understands that the festival, in conjunction with the theater, will do everything possible to present the films in the best possible manner but the festival (LATCA) is not responsible for any and all malfunctions during the presentation of the production at its 7-day theatrical release. The Festival (LATCA) assumes no responsibility for any technical difficulties in the presentation of this entry at the actual time.